Thursday, November 15, 2012

Breakfast: Part 3

Bum-ba-da-bum!

Behold, the creme-de-la-creme of breakfasts: Granola!

Granola holds a special place in my heart (right alongside Broadway musicals and nerdy dancing). Here's the thing: I grew up with this jewel of breakfasts, thus my amorous delight. My Mom would make a fresh batch probably every week for her swarm of children. Armed with yogurt every morning for breakfast, the option was... granola. Before bedtime if we were hungry, the option was... granola. And when late afternoon snack cravings kicked in, my neighbor friends and I would eat... yup! Granola.


At the time, I was slightly embarrassed by this strange fixture in my household. No other families I knew ate it. And to my profound relief, ALL the neighbor kids ADORED it. I think my Mom had an uncanny understanding of health which I readily took for granted, but my friends craved.

Now years later, my sister, sister-in-law, and I proudly carry on the tradition by regularly mixing up batches for our little families!

My pioneering Mom has handed down her passion for eating well. Someday, my children may also look at me strangely. But I know that they, too, will thank me later.

Thanks, Mama!


Granola


If you want to crisp the granola, preheat oven to 325 degrees. It's really wonderful either way, but I prefer raw. It's a bit chewier and much healthier for you.

9 c. rolled oats
2 c. oat bran
1 c. wheat bran or Psyllium
1 c. dry milk
1 1/2 c. whey powder
1 c. unsweetened coconut
1 1/2 T. cinnamon
(In an effort to stay away from dairy, I replace the dry milk with milled flax seeds for additional fiber)


Mix. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients. Then, pour honey,oil, and molasses into dry ingredients.

1 1/2 c. olive oil or coconut oil
1 1/2 c. honey
1/4 c. molasses (blackstrap)
(I've also been adding 1-2 t. vanilla to mine. You can never go wrong with vanilla!)

Optional:

seeds
nuts
dried fruit

For those crisping, bake for 7 minutes, then stir. Bake 5 more minutes. Remove, let coolfor 7 min.


No comments:

Post a Comment