Monday, November 12, 2012

Breakfast: Part 2


As I promised, here is my continuation on healthy breakfast options!

As many of you know, David and I are in school, thus the need for grab-n-go breakfasts. However, I'm not willing to sacrifice health in the name of expediency. We've really been attempting to create healthy eating habits (rather than dieting), such as cooking with coconut oil instead of olive oil, using maple syrup to sweeten coffee, etc.



I found this recipe for Muffin Quiches on yummly.com. Now, I love muffins. But usually, muffins don't love me back. I find that too much refined starch in my life (ie. pasta, breads, etc) creates much regret. However, with this version, they included almond flour as a substitute for regular flour (almonds are a fabulous source of healthy fats) as well as cottage cheese and a lot eggs (which provide a great source of protein). Thus, these muffins provide a lovely balance of protein, healthy carbs (I usually add spinach), and fats (not all fat is bad for you). From their recipe, I quickly realized it could provide a brilliant base with numerous options of additions! I'll include my basic recipe modifications and then what I added for today's version.


1 c. cottage cheese
1 1/4 c. almond flour
1 t. baking powder
1/4 c. water
4 eggs
1 t. salt

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Mix all ingredients together.
3. Spoon into lined muffin tin (I find the muffin liners still need cooking spray)
4. Bake for 25 mins or until golden brown on top.

Today, I added sauteed onions, 2 T. basil pesto, fresh basil, 1/2 t. garlic powder, spinach, and about 1/4 c. shredded cheese.

The beautiful thing about this recipe is that you can truly make it as healthy as you want. For example, if I was particularly strict, I certainly wouldn't have included cheese or the pesto (lots of oil). However, I feel that little leniencies can certainly benefit a healthy lifestyle (so you don't feel completely deprived, then binge later).


Another option I'm experimenting with: substituting the water and half the cottage cheese with applesauce, substituting 1/2 the almond flour with oat bran, adding cinnamon and nutmeg, and chunks of apples. Mmmm.

Bon Appetit!

1 comment: